I can’t believe it’s almost mid-October already. Probably because it feels like 24 degrees outside today! It’s Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada and that means all things pumpkin. I wanted to make a treat for my family with all the flavours of fall. My dad saw my naturopath earlier this week and had to make a few changes to his diet after the doctor confirmed his gluten intolerance so he’s feeling like “there’s nothing to eat”. He’s been off all grains this week to let his body heal- and because I hate anything labelled gluten free (it’s normally made with crap-read labels!). My goal with this blog is to show people you can still bake yummy treats without grains, dairy or processed ingredients that people are used to buying.
I’ve been making a lot of different things this weekend that will be on the blog soon, starting with these pumpkin spice donuts. They’re parent-approved in my house, which is the same as kid-approved in most houses :P. This recipe is quick and easy and worked out on the first try! The doughnuts are great on their own, if you’d like more of a dessert you can add the maple glaze on top.
Ingredients for doughnuts (makes 10-12):
- 5 organic eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup organic raw honey (I melted mine with the coconut oil for better mixing)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin (fresh or canned, make sure to drain any excess liquid from fresh)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice OR 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a food processor or mixer, combine all wet ingredients
- Add in dry ingredients until thoroughly combined
- Grease donut tray with coconut oil
- Fill each donut mold. I made slightly bigger donuts by filling each mold almost to the top so the recipe made 10 donuts for me. If you’d like smaller donuts, fill 3/4 of the mold and decrease baking time accordingly.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees
- Allow donuts to cool slightly before removing from tray.
Ingredients for the maple glaze:
- coconut oil
- coconut butter
- organic maple syrup